According to Pluto the late great Socrates said it first and since then the phrase “Know thyself” has been commonly associated with Socratic philosophy and is considered a fundamental principle of introspection.
We are surrounded by an ever increasingly complex world, with a growing number of distractions that draw us away from our sense of self and suck us into the material world with the promise of more stimulation and happiness, we certainly get more stimulation, but it never leads to long lasting happiness, it only fills the bottomless void long enough for you to utter the words “what’s next?”
Even in ancient Greece Socrates knew it, imagine what he’d think about living in our society now with social media, dating apps and 24-hour access to drink, drugs, coffee, and pornography!
With all this going on it’s a wonder that anyone knows truly who they are anymore.
Spending time getting to know yourself is a great first step in helping to anchor you down so that you won’t get swept up by the external world and lose yourself in the tantalising confusion that it promises and delivers on.
Feeling more connected with who you are and who you want to be can have other numerous personal benefits, including:
- Increased Self-Awareness: When you feel more connected to yourself, you become more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviours. This self-awareness can help you identify patterns that may be holding you back or causing you stress and allow you to make positive changes in your life.
- Improved Self-Esteem: When you have a better understanding of who you are and what you want out of life, you are more likely to feel confident in yourself and your abilities. This can improve your self-esteem and help you feel more capable of achieving your goals.
- Better Decision-Making: When you connect with yourself and your values, it becomes easier to make decisions that align with your goals and beliefs. This can lead to more positive outcomes in your life and reduce the stress and anxiety associated with making difficult choices.
- Greater Sense of Purpose: When you connect with who you are and who you want to be, you are more likely to feel a sense of purpose and meaning in your life. This can help you feel more fulfilled and motivated and give you a sense of direction in your personal and professional pursuits.
- Improved Relationships: When you have a better understanding of yourself, you are more likely to be able to communicate your needs and boundaries effectively in your relationships. This can improve your connections with others and help you build more meaningful and fulfilling relationships.
- Increased Creativity: Knowing who you are can help you to tap into your creativity and imagination helping you to think outside of the box and come up with new and innovative ideas.
Ultimately, feeling more connected with one’s true self leads to a more gratifying and satisfying life. It enables individuals to make positive changes that contribute to a sense of purpose, joy, and freedom. This pursuit is at the core of the human journey, albeit embarked upon in our own unique ways, along our own distinct paths, and at different points in time.
Support and guidance are beneficial at various stages of this fulfilling and confusing journey.
If you feel ready to embark on a deeper level of self-discovery and experience the benefits of ‘knowing thyself’, consider joining my Inner Earth 6-week program, with options for self-study, group exploration or 1–2–1 coaching.
For more information or to schedule a call, please visit AdamStansbury.com/InnerEarth